ICSF is committed to collecting scale, replication and social franchising information to make it easy to access. This list will grow as we learn of new resources and publish our own.
ICSF Social Replication Toolkit
ICSF’s Social Replication Toolkit puts our approach, systems and process in your hands.
Take the Replication Readiness Test and download the toolkit to get started here
- Scaling Entrepreneurship in China – Collective Responsibility (2015) Commissioned by ICSF
- Rapid Routes to Scale: Scaling Up Primary Care to Improve Health in Low and Middle Income Countries - ICSF, University of Toronto (2015)
- Realising the Potential of Social Replication – ICSF, Big Lottery Fund (2013)
- Identifying replicable healthcare models with significant social benefit - ICSF, GSK (2013)
- ICSF replication readiness test - ICSF (2013)
- Social Franchising: Innovation and the Power of Old Ideas – ICSF, Clore Social Leadership Programme, Social Enterprise UK (2012)
- Investing in Social Franchising in the UK – ICSF commissioned by Big Society Capital (2012)
ICSF Blogs and Articles
- When Healthcare goes Viral: Using Social franchising to achieve Scale – For Health Systems Hub by Dan Berelowitz (2015)
- Five steps to geographically expand your social enterprise – For Guardian by Matt Towner (2013)
- Tested methods better innovation – For Guardian by Martha Paren (2013)
- Big business and healthcare, its not about the money – For SSIR by Andy Thornton (2013)
- From replicating proven ideas to systemic innovation – For Nesta by Dan Berelowitz (2013)
- Social enterprise franchise: a 10 question test – For Guardian by Dan Berelowitz (2013)
- Resist the urge to innovate, supersize like McDonalds – For Guardian by Dan Berelowitz (2012)
- Social Franchising: Freedom within a framework – For Skoll by Dan Berelowitz (2012)
- Transformative Scale: The Social Sector’s New Frontier - Jeff Bradach (2014)
Social Franchising Networks and Organisations
- European Social Franchising Network – A list of members and helpful resources
- Social Franchising for Health – An online community of practice
- Social Franchising Northern Ireland – A new organisation providing practical information
- Growing Prosperity: Developing Repeatable Models to Scale the Adoption of Agriculture Innovations – Acumen (2014)
- DIY Toolkit – Nesta and Rockefeller (2014)
- Social Franchising manual – Social Enterprise UK (2011)
- Getting replication right – The Bridgespan Group (2008)
- Micro-Franchising Toolkit – Published by BYU (2007)
- Social Franchising: A way of Systematic Replication to Increase Social Impact (2008): A good overview of social franchising with a focus on the not-for-profit sector.
- CEiS report on Franchising and Replication (2008): Commissioned by the Scottish government, this report draws upon case studies in the UK and US for lessons on franchising and replication in the social enterprise sector, and provides recommendations about how this growth might be supported.
- Social Franchising: Scaling up for Success (2011): This paper from the ‘think-and-do tank’—the Shaftsbury Partnership—provides clarity about what is social franchising and its relationship to commercial franchising, and provides thoughts on what needs to happen next.
- Microfranchising at the base of the Pyramid (2008): A working paper published by Acumen.
- Franchising in Frontier Markets (2009): Published by Dalberg, this report looks at what’s working, what’s not—and why—when it comes to franchising in frontier markets.
- Financing Growth in Social Franchising (2011): Published by the European Social Franchising Network
- Introduction to Social Franchising: Unltd by ICSF chief executive Dan Berelowitz (2014)
- A 30-minute introduction to social franchising by ICSF chief executive Dan Berelowitz (2012).
- To Franchise or Not to Franchise – International Replication Demystified: Presentation at SoCap by Dan Berelowitz (2012)
- A brief introduction to social franchising by ICSF Co-Founder Michael Norton (2012).
Links on Scaling Innovation and Impact
- Social Impact Exchange Knowledge Centre
- Global Development Incubator insights
- Social Innovation Exchange
ICSF’s Social Replication Toolkit Resources